Von der Pure von der Stange zur Scrambler von Roland Sands

Du siehst das Forum als Gast - als registriertes Mitglied stehen dir alle Forenbereiche zur Verfügung. Wir freuen uns auf dich!

• Cfox991

Ich denke, es geht ihm nicht um die Vor- oder Nachteile von großem oder kleinem Vorderrad, sondern um das "ABS Wheel", also den sog. ABS-Kranz. Wenn man nicht den passenden hat, funktioniert das ABS nicht mehr oder funktioniert zwar, aber das Steuergerät zeigt dennoch eine Fehlermeldung. Das ist wohl die Problemstellung bzw Frage.

Außerdem hat ein 17' Vorderrad bei einer Ninet nichts mit Supermoto-Opttik zu tun, sondern ist Standart und Auslieferungszustand. Abgesehen von UGS oder Scrambler.

Guys, I still didn't understand if there is an ABS ring on the 17th wheel that I want to put, will there be an error message or not?

• Guys, I still didn't understand if there is an ABS ring on the 17th wheel that I want to put, will there be an error message or not?

No one knows... try it and you will see! - Hopefully not! Otherwise you could try another ECU or what I would do, a 'self lasered' ABS ring with less elements, so that the numver of impulses / rotation stays the same.

(Currently it has 48 holes for 19" and is working together with the rear wheel. To my understanding, a 17" wheel should have an ABS ring with 48 / 19*17 = 42,94 = 43 holes.

Till increased wheel size from 17" to 19 and faced some issues that only dissappeared after applying a ABS ring for a 21" version (Custom from Wunderlich) but getting an ABS ring lasered should not be an issue! (The only question that I am struggeling is: does it need to be steel or can it also be Alu?! Does it need to be magnetic or is conductive sufficient?!)

I assume the least, so it also could be Alloy or stainless steel, that avoids the anti corrosion treatment!

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von MaT5ol (12. Juli 2023 um 09:38)

• Guys, I still didn't understand if there is an ABS ring on the 17th wheel that I want to put, will there be an error message or not?

Max,

nobody can say it. Normaly not! If you have the regular 19' frontwheel with its reguar ABS-Wheel it has to fit without error masseges if you change it to the 17' Frontwheel. MaT5ol and me we compared both ABS-Wheels and can't see any difference. So try it.

I changed my frontwheel form 17' to 19'. So normaly it has to fit also, but it doesen't. The reason why my 17' ABS-Wheel doesen't fit to the 19' Frontwheel is in my special unit control. But nobody knows what kind of unit control you have even BMW not. Because BMW build the same ninet model in the same year with diffenrent unit controls. I took the 21' ABS-Wheel from "Wunderlich" and this one fits. Don't ask my why :denk :0plan I think the difference between 19' and 21' is not big enough for error messages.

Gruß

Der Eulenspiegel :kasper

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Eulenspiegel (12. Juli 2023 um 10:43)

• Max,

nobody can say it. Normaly not! If you have the regular 19' frontwheel with its reguar ABS-Wheel it has to fit if you change it to the 17' Frontwheel. MaT5ol and me we compared both ABS-Wheels and can't see any difference. So try it.

I changed the my frontwheel form 17' to 19'. So normaly it has to fit also, but it doesen't. The reason why my 17' ABS-Wheel doesen't fit to the 19' Frontwheel is in my special unit control. But nobody knows what kind of unit control you have even BMW not. Because BMW build the same ninet model in the same year with diffenrent unit controls. I took the 21' ABS-Wheel from "Wunderlich" and this one fits. Don't ask my why :denk :0plan

And what year of manufacture is your motorcycle?

• Visually, .../... the ABS comb are no different. .../...

"Visualy" doesen't matter. Not the ABS combs are the problem, the unit control makes problems.

Bikes with 17' frontwheels have other unit controls as bikes with 19' frontwheel. The same ABS comb on a smaler wheel turns faster an give other informations to the unit control. Thats the reason why normaly you have erros masseges if you change the frontwheelsize.

Gruß

• Durch Zufall drüber gestolpert und hiermit verlinkt...

MaT5ol
    25. Mai 2022 um 16:16
  • Greetings to you. This weekend I put 17 wheels on my scrambler. As a result, at a speed of 100 +, after 5-7 minutes the abs turns off and the speedometer stops working, after restarting the motorcycle everything repeats. Judging by the error that shows, the synchronization of the rotation of the front and rear wheels is broken in 8-10 km, and all this, as I understand it, is read through the ABS disk. It's very sad(((

• ... at a speed of 100 +, after 5-7 minutes the abs turns off and the speedometer stops working, after restarting the motorcycle everything repeats.

I had the same error. As I told I changed the other direction. From 17' to 19'. After I used the "Wunderlich" ABS sensor wheel from there 21' Front-wheel Model all fits perfekt without errors. It's no solution for you I know. I have just one very expansive advice. Buy an unit control from an 17' ninet-model. From example the "Pure" than it has to work.

Gruß

• you might find somebody that manufactures a custom ABS ring for you.

should be a lot cheaper than a new control unit.

cheapest way would be to have the wheel size coded in the ABS. i'm affraid only BMW can do so

• A lasered ABS Ring with only (48 /19×17=) 43 holes should solve the Problem.

@ Till,

could you please count the number of holes of your 21" version - it should be 48 /19 x 21 = 53.

I am having the same problem if I change the wheel size but only once. After turning ignition off and on again it dissapears - nevertheless I'd also try another ring....

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von MaT5ol (18. Juli 2023 um 08:24)

• you might find somebody that manufactures a custom ABS ring for you.

should be a lot cheaper than a new control unit.

cheapest way would be to have the wheel size coded in the ABS. i'm affraid only BMW can do so

Yes, I'm already doing this, it remains to calculate the number of holes in the disk.

• it not hard to calculate.

you need to know the circumference of both wheels. alternatively the diameter or radius will do as well. then you also need to count the number of holes ( rather slots ) of the ABS disk you already have.

a bigger wheel will need more slots in the ABS disk, a smaller one will need less slots.

number of slots needed = number of slots current * ( circumference target wheel / circumference current wheel)

for clarification: you need the circumference of the entire wheel with tyre, not just the rim

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von franco66 (18. Juli 2023 um 10:26)

• The number of holes in my disc ist not relevant for you, because it is laserd for an 21' frontwheel for the "Wunderlich" special ninet model called "Green Hell"

As I told before, not alone the ABS wheel is important. Maybe one ninet fits with the 17' and 19' frontwheel and others doesn't. It depends also in the unit control. But nobody can say witch kind of unit control one special ninet has. Even not BMW, because they build different unit controls in one construction year of one special model.

I don't think to laser a new ABS wheel will be the solution. Because the 17' models and the 19' models have the same ABS wheels. So there is no reason to laser a new one. Some unit controls recognize the difference revolutions of the wheel others can't do this.

Gruß

• The number of holes in my disc ist not relevant for you, because it is laserd for an 21' frontwheel for the "Wunderlich" special ninet model called "Green Hell"

As I told before, not alone the ABS wheel is important. Maybe one ninet fits with the 17' and 19' frontwheel and others doesn't. It depends also in the unit control. But nobody can say witch kind of unit control one special ninet has. Even not BMW, because they build different unit controls in one construction year of one special model.

I don't think to laser a new ABS wheel will be the solution. Because the 17' models and the 19' models have the same ABS wheels. So there is no reason to laser a new one. Some unit controls recognize the difference revolutions of the wheel others can't do this.

Maybe you're right, but still I think we should try. When connected to a laptop, it shows the reason for turning off the abs, this is the difference in the rotation speed of the front and rear wheels.

Till,

the point is, that some ECUs apparently can deal with the tolerance of signals, some others can't.

If you adapt the number of signals to the cricumference, the ECU should not even recognise a difference.

Regarding the 21" version, it is not really relevant, but I wanted to know if Wunderlich simply adds a few holes to be in tolerance or if they go exactly to the calculated amount.

Wheel diameter and circumference are linear, the number of holes should also be.

Coming from a 19" version with the 48 holes, the 17" version should have 43 and the 21" should have 53.

(19": 48; 17": 48/19 x 17 = 42,947... = 43; 21" : 48 / 19 x 21 = 53,052....= 53)

Ad Max,

are you going to laser it out of Aluminium?! - or stainless steel or how do you intend to corrosion protect?!

Did yiou check if the sensor is able to read this (induction should be the same unless non magnetic)

Can you do one additional for me, please, and we share cost or at least I participate?!

• I plan to make it out of stainless steel, I would love to make a disk for you, but I'm afraid there will be difficulties with delivery, since I live in Russia.